Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Frenchy French French

That is what I think of when I see this desk... Frenchy French French! The colors, the old world look and the soon-to-be hardware. I found this Bassett desk at a nearby shop in Kentucky. It was dark, not-so-attractive and needed some major love and attention.
Poor Little Thing!
Even though it was a less than a charmer, it was definitely a diamond in the rough. It was very heavy ~ my first indication that a piece of furniture is a good piece; the drawers were very smooth operators (kind of like Sade's song); and it was just waiting for someone to take her home out of the dingy dark corner where she sat.

I began by taping the drawers so I could start my work. It was exciting because I was on a mission to make a major transformation! I was in a hurry, too, since I was curious just how quickly I could transform her!

Knowing from the start my color scheme, I jumped right in and got busy. Here is the first step of color ~ Annie Sloan's Louis Blue and Old White.

Then the REAL fun began...
The brown wax was added, just like my blogger friends add to their pieces for the rich, old world look. I could hardly wait to see how it was going to look. At first it was a little too BLUE and I definitely knew that I wanted a more tempered, blue end-result. I added more brown wax until the perfect finish emerged!


The little piano bench seemed to be the perfect partner for this Frenchy French French Desk. The French writing on the fabric was just amazing! 

Now, for the final phase... the hardware. I found this vintage set of bronze-colored drawer pulls on Ebay! PERFECTO!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for chit chatting! Hope to hear from you again soon!